Year Two's class page!
Miss V Earley - Class teacher, English Leader, KS1 Leader and Assistant Head
Mrs N Pighills - Teaching Support
Mrs Ball - Teaching Support
Mrs Gilligan - Teaching Support (Tues and Wed)
Year Two at home!
I hope you are all well. The challenges will continue to be added on here over the coming weeks. Please do have a go at some of them when you can as any learning being done will help when we all return to school.
Thank you in advance to all parents supporting the children with learning during this time. If you have any questions at all or would like to share what your child has been doing you can email me on firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't try to replace the school curriculum at home, there are lots of different ways that children can learn. Sometime spent doing English and Maths will definitely help but spending time listening to and telling stories, keeping active, developing their imaginations through play and spending time as a family are all just as important at this time.
Look after yourselves, Miss Earley
Online support at home
* A great website where you can support your child to read at home is Oxford Owl https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk Create a free log-in and explore e-books for your child to read, similar to those that are sent home from school.
* Another site to look at is Collins Big Cat. Go to Collins Connect and click on the teacher portal and enter
* Phonics Play is a great website that we use in school to support the teaching of phonics and spelling. It is currently free to parents by using the following log in details:
username = march20
password = home
The main phases to look at are phases 5 and 6 but it is also a chance to practice sounds from other phases that your child might be unsure of.
* Please click on the letter below for information about daily phonics lessons taking place online. These sessions are being delivered by English Hubs and are funded by the Department of Education. The sessions follow the same scheme (Letters and Sounds) that we use at OLV. These sessions may be of benefit if you feel your child needs extra practice at certain sounds.
As the weeks go on it is possible that your child will have more and more questions and maybe feeling more anxious even if they are not showing it. Here a couple of places to look if you would like any support around this.
- Jaime from Cosmic Kids Yoga has produced a useful YouTube clip for parents and children around using yoga to relive stress and manage anxiety https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
- Headspace also have some videos on meditation that can that parents can do with younger children to help with managing anxiety and relieving stress https://www.headspace.com/meditation/kids
- Imoves has opened their resource free to parents. I use this resource in class and it has some fabulous things on there. If you use the link below to create a parent account you will have access to lots of boredom busters and mental well-being activities. https://imoves.com/imovement-signup
Our Year Two home learning super stars!
As it is half term this week I will not be posting daily work. I'd really like you to keep practicing your number bonds and times tables so that you get quicker and quicker and to read some books with your family. I have also set a half term project that you can have a go at and there is the CSPTSA art competition that you can take part in.
As a school we also have access to both Maths Shed and Spelling Shed. Both games can be accessed at https://play.edshed.com/login The same login works for both sites. If your child has lost their login then please get in touch.
Should you wish to revisit any past learning the worksheets and slides are further down the page.
I will keep posting photos of our caterpillars so you can see how they are growing and you can join me for a story on Wednesday.
I hope you have a lovely half term - missing you all lots. Keep safe, Miss Earley x
Links to help with the project
The STEM Science group: https://www.stem.org.uk/resources/elibrary/resource/36134/life-cycles
CSPTSA Art Competition- Deadline 9th June
This year, you can still take part in our yearly art competition along with the other Catholic schools in Bradford. Our school has been extremely successful in previous years and let's make this year the same. We usually do some work in class for this but this year is a little different with you been at home. All the information is in the flyer below. Please send any work completed to our class email at email@example.com by June 9th.
That means you have a couple of weeks to think and prepare something. You are all fabulous artists. Let's show Bradford!
Time For A Story
The caterpillars have everything they need inside the plastic container. The brown goo at the bottom is their food and they are definitely enjoying it. Have a look in the slides below to see just how much they have grown.
All your teachers at school know that you are fabulous! I know that sometimes it can be hard to feel that way but it doesn't mean that it isn't true. You can use this calendar to remind yourself how great you are everyday!
Daily work back on the 1st June
Some extra maths from BBC bitesize in case you want to try some different challenges!
Finding one more and one less https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zkhsf4j
Counting in twos, threes, fives and tens https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/znywjhv
Counting tens and ones https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zvtppg8
Showing numbers up to 100 in different ways https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/z7cthbk
Some games from Gareth Metcalfe to try!
Connect 4 addition and subtraction game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqx-2-ItQ50&feature=youtu.be
Daily work back on the 1st June
I will be adding slides here with challenges on from all subjects in the curriculum including Science, Art and Religion. Maybe you could pick one a day to have a go at. Don't forget I'd love to see what you have been up to so send a picture if you can.
Most of all have a good time doing these challenges - learning should always be fun!
Online learning opportunities
- If your feeling creative then look at http://www.robbiddulph.com/draw-with-rob Rob Biddulph is an author and illustrator who is doing draw-alongs for his characters. They are really easy to follow and great fun to do!
- The teachers at Diocese of Leeds Music have launched a weekly music session. The session will take place at 11am every Monday and can be found at www.schoolssingingprogramme.org.uk
Links from the slides:
PHSE - feeling angry https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zmmgrj6
Art/Science - labeling a plant https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zpxnyrd
Horrible Histories VE Day song https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/watch/horrible-histories-songs-ve-day-song
Learning about leaves https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2020/03/tree-id-kids/
Learning why trees are important https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I7u5FMQxHA
Week beginning 18th May
|Worksheets 18th May.pptx||Download|
|worksheets 19th may y2 maths.pptx||Download|
|worksheets 20th may y2 maths.pptx||Download|
|worksheets 21st may y2.pptx||Download|
|worksheets 22nd may y2 maths.pptx||Download|
|y2 eng 19th may.jpg||Download|
|y2 eng 20th may.jpg||Download|
|y2 eng 21st may.jpg||Download|
|Y2 eng 22nd may.jpg||Download|
Week beginning 11th May
|y2 Eng 11th may.jpg||Download|
|y2 eng 12th may.jpg||Download|
|y2 eng 13th may.jpg||Download|
|y2 eng 14th may.jpg||Download|
|y2 eng 15th may.jpg||Download|
|y2 maths 11th may 1.jpg||Download|
|y2 maths 11th may 2.jpg||Download|
|y2 maths 12th may.jpg||Download|
|y2 maths 13th may 1.jpg||Download|
|y2 maths 13th may 2.jpg||Download|
Week beginning 4th May
Week beginning 27th April
|Eng 1st May.jpg||Download|
|Eng 27th April.jpg||Download|
|Eng 28th April.jpg||Download|
|Eng 29th April 1.jpg||Download|
|Eng 29th April 2.jpg||Download|
|Eng 29th April answers.jpg||Download|
|Eng 30th April.jpg||Download|
|maths 28th April.jpg||Download|
|Maths 29th April.jpg||Download|
|Maths 30th April.jpg||Download|
Week beginning 20th April
|Angry Cat Story.pptx||Download|
|April 21st bonds to 100.jpg||Download|
|April 22nd doubles 1.jpg||Download|
|April 22nd doubles 2.jpg||Download|
|April 24th Quiz.jpg||Download|
|Eng Fri 24th April.jpg||Download|
|Eng Wed 22nd April 1.jpg||Download|
|English Tues 21st April.jpg||Download|
|Mon 20th 1.jpg||Download|
|Mon 20th 2.jpg||Download|
Week beginning 30th March
Examples to help with work at home
Our Fabulous Facts
Fabulous Facts from Spring Term
Fabulous Facts from Autumn Term
Autumn Term - Our dinosaur topic!
The children did great job of creating their dinosaur models. They looked at different non-fiction books for ideas and enjoyed adding spots, spikes and horns.
Year 2 had a great time learning about herbivores, carnivores and omnivores by investigating dinosaur poo!
Our trip to Cliffe Castle was brilliant! We learnt a lot about fossils and how they were made and looked at different dinosaur skeletons. We found out how to classify dinosaurs by looking at their features and enjoyed making our dinosaur detective notebooks. We even got chance to play on the park!