Year One at home
I hope that you are all keeping safe and well at home. For the next few weeks I will looking after the Year One page for Miss Dwyer and I will be adding some different challenges on here for you to have a go at. There will be some for English and Maths and then some for different areas of the curriculum. I will also add some links to different sites that might help you with any learning at home.
Don't try to replace the school curriculum at home, there are lots of different ways that children can learn. Sometime spent doing English and Maths will definitely help but spending time listening to and telling stories, keeping active, developing their imaginations through play and spending time as a family are all just as important at this time.
If you do have any question you can get in touch with me through the MyEd app or on the email address email@example.com .
I will do my best to answer any questions you might have.
Look after yourselves, Miss Earley (Assistant Head and KS1 Leader)
Links to sites
* A great website where you can support your child to read at home is Oxford Owl https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk Create a free log-in and explore e-books for your child to read, similar to those that are sent home from school.
* Another site to look at is Collins Big Cat. Go to Collins Connect and click on the teacher portal and enter
* Phonics Play is a great website that we use in school to support the teaching of phonics and spelling. It is currently free to parents by using the following log in details:
username = march20
password = home
The main phase to look at are phase 5 but it is also a chance to practice sounds from other phases that your child might be unsure of.
* Please click on the letter below for information about daily phonics lessons taking place online. These sessions are being delivered by English Hubs and are funded by the Department of Education. The sessions follow the same scheme (Letters and Sounds) that we use at OLV.
As the weeks go on it is possible that your child will have more and more questions and maybe feeling more anxious even if they are not showing it. Here a couple of places to look if you would like any support around this.
- Jaime from Cosmic Kids Yoga has produced a useful YouTube clip for parents and children around using yoga to relive stress and manage anxiety https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
- Headspace also have some videos on meditation that can that parents can do with younger children to help with managing anxiety and relieving stress https://www.headspace.com/meditation/kids
- Imoves has opened their resource free to parents. I use this resource in class and it has some fabulous things on there. If you use the link below to create a parent account you will have access to lots of boredom busters and mental well-being activities. https://imoves.com/imovement-signup
Year One home learning super stars!
As it is half term this week I will not be posting daily work. I'd really like you to keep practicing your number bonds so that you get quicker and quicker and to read some books with your family. I have also set a half term project that you can have a go at and there is the CSPTSA art competition that you can take part in.
As a school we also have access to both Maths Shed and Spelling Shed. Both games can be accessed at https://play.edshed.com/login The same login works for both sites. If your child has lost their login then please get in touch.
Should you wish to revisit any past learning the worksheets and slides are further down the page.
I will keep posting photos of our caterpillars so you can see how they are growing and you can join me for a story on Wednesday.
I hope you have a lovely half term - missing you all lots. Keep safe, Miss Earley x
Links to support the project
Information about common UK wildlife: https://www.wildlifewatch.org.uk/key-stage-1
What animals can you spot in this clip: https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/class-clips-video/biology-ks1-ks2-wonders-of-nature-wildlife-in-our-gardens/zkx2t39
CSPTSA Art Competition- Deadline 9th June
This year, you can still take part in our yearly art competition along with the other Catholic schools in Bradford. Our school has been extremely successful in previous years and let's make this year the same. We usually do some work in class for this but this year is a little different with you been at home. All the information is in the flyer below. Please send any work completed to our class email at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 9th.
That means you have a couple of weeks to think and prepare something. You are all fabulous artists. Let's show Bradford!
The caterpillars have everything they need inside the plastic container. The brown goo at the bottom is their food and they are definitely enjoying it. Have a look in the slides below to see just how much they have grown.
Time For A Story
All your teachers at school know that you are fabulous! I know that sometimes it can be hard to feel that way but it doesn't mean that it isn't true. You can use this calendar to remind yourself how great you are everyday!
Daily work back on 1st June
Resources to support English at home
Daily work back on 1st June
Some extra maths from BBC bitesize in case you want to try some different challenges!
Counting on and back in 5's https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zhfjqp3
I will be adding slides here with challenges on from all subjects in the curriculum including Science, Art and Religion. Maybe you could pick one a day to have a go at. Don't forget I'd love to see what you have been up to so send a picture if you can.
Most of all have a good time doing these challenges - learning should always be fun!
Online learning opportunities
- If your feeling creative then look at http://www.robbiddulph.com/draw-with-rob Rob Biddulph is an author and illustrator who is doing draw-alongs for his characters. They are really easy to follow and great fun to do!
- The teachers at Diocese of Leeds Music have launched a weekly music session. The session will take place at 11am every Monday and can be found at www.schoolssingingprogramme.org.uk
Horrible Histories VE Day song https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/watch/horrible-histories-songs-ve-day-song
Learning about leaves https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2020/03/tree-id-kids/
Learning why trees are important https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I7u5FMQxHA
Drawing and labeling a flower https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zpxnyrd
Week beginning 18th May
|maths worksheets 18th may.pptx||Download|
|worksheets 20th may y1 maths.pptx||Download|
|worksheets 21st may y1 maths.pptx||Download|
|worksheets 22nd may y1 maths.pptx||Download|
|Y1 Eng 19th May.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 20th may.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 21st may.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 22nd may.jpg||Download|
|y1 maths 21st may.jpg||Download|
Week beginning 11th May
|Worksheets 13th May Maths.pptx||Download|
|Worksheets 15th May Maths.pptx||Download|
|y1 Eng 12th May 1.jpg||Download|
|y1 Eng 12th May 2.jpg||Download|
|y1 Eng 13th May.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 14th may.jpg||Download|
|y1 Eng 15th May.jpg||Download|
|Y1 Eng Mon 11th 1.jpg||Download|
|Y1 Eng Mon 11th May 2.jpg||Download|
Week beginning 4th May
|Stuck by Oliver Jeffers.pptx||Download|
|Y1 Eng 4th May.jpg||Download|
|y1 Eng 5th May.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 6th may 1.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 6th may 2.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 6th may 3.jpg||Download|
|y1 Eng 7th May.jpg||Download|
|Y1 maths 5th May.jpg||Download|
|y1 maths 6th may 1.jpg||Download|
|y1 maths 6th may 2.jpg||Download|
Previous message and work set by Miss Dwyer
Dear all year 1 parents and carers
I hope all is well at home and you are enjoying your home packs!
I am putting together a list of words that you may help your children to learn, please could you support your children to read and write each word. This will support the phonics we have been learning in the classroom. These will be sent out to you shortly. Please could you email me on email@example.com with your contact details. That way I can send you a list that is specific to your child.
Please could you support your children to practice writing short sentences; using finger spaces between each word, capital letters at the beginning of sentences and full stops at the end of sentences.
Children may also practice their letter and number formations.
Please use the maths resources on this page. If you would like to share anything that you have done with your children then please send me an email on the year 1 email address.
If you have any concerns or if you need any specific work sending home, please contact me on the email address above.
KS1 maths activities. Watch the video and then try the activities. Either print the sheets or copy them on to a piece of paper. Enjoy!