Here is the video of the adventure Year 5 have had in Edinburgh.
Quarry Bank Mill
Year 5 Spring Newsletter
Across this term we will be looking at these topics.
Literacy – During the first half term, we will be looking at the historical text ‘Street Child’ which will be about a poor Victorian boy struggling to survive in Victorian London.
In the second half of this term we will be looking at ‘narrative poetry’, this will involve studying the poem ‘The Highwayman.’
Maths – this term we will looking at fractions. We will be looking at how we add, subtract, order and multiply them. We will also look at mixed numbers; improper fractions; standard units of measure and how to convert between them; rounding and negative numbers.
R.E. – throughout the term we will be looking and discussing ‘Inspirational people’ and how God inspires us to lead better lives. We will then study ‘Reconciliation’ and discuss forgiveness and how this affects us.
Science – the children will be learning about how materials change state and reversible and irreversible changes. Next half term we will be looking at the life cycles of all living things.
Topic –Our topic throughout the whole term is ‘The Victorians.’ We will be finding out all about how children lived their lives during this era; what conditions were like; what it was like to go to school in those days and understand how the industrial revolution impacted Britain around this time.
Things you could do at home
- Reading with your child as often as possible (family points are given for this)
- When reading check for meaning and understanding by questioning your child.
- Encourage your child to write a small written piece on a chosen topic and practise skills learnt in school, e.g. embedded clauses, use of semicolons etc.
- Practising their times tables daily
A few reminders
- E. is on a Friday, please can all P.E. kits be in for that day, suitable footwear for outside can be brought in.
- Children who do extra work at home receive family points and the opportunity to get prizes from these points.
- Swimming is on a Wednesday afternoon.
If you have any questions about the topics we will be covering or want to know what else you could do to support your child them please don’t hesitate to ask.